This Memorial Day, if all goes as planned, my son and I will make a fruit pizza. During Easter, I made my very first fruit pizza. In fact, I had never even heard of such a thing before Pinterest showed me the way. I go to Pinterest for just about everything…from lesson plan ideas, crockpot recipes, toddler crafts to desserts and clothing ideas. My love for Pinterest is another story, but today my love for Memorial Day is more. It isn’t a holiday that can be celebrated by jumping up and down, but more one to be quietly celebrated with moments of thought and spending time with loved ones.
It is a special time for me when I get to make something with my son. I love our time together whether we are playing, singing, baking, or reading a book. It all means so much to me. I cherish those moments because time goes by so quickly. Just as I try to cherish every moment I have because you never know what will happen in the future.
So if you make something yummy to eat this Memorial Day, do it with thought that many people have risked their lives for us and for our country. Remember that each second we have with our loved ones is a second that we should appreciate to the fullest. Life is short and should never be taken for granted. Spend that time making memories full of smiles and laughter….and eating amazing tasting things:
- sugar cookie mix (or you can make it from scratch if you want)
- strawberry cream cheese
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- assortment of fruit
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Make cookie mix according to package. Then press it down (form whatever design you want: oval, circle, etc.) into a cookie sheet.
- Bake approximately 8-10 minutes.
- Mix cream cheese with vanilla extract. Some people have added a cup of sugar but I do not. Spread mixture on cookie crust AFTER it has cooled.
- Then place your fruit in whatever design you wish. I also take a tablespoon of peace or orange preserves, microwave it for a few seconds to warm it up and loosen it up. Then take the edge of a spoon or a brush if you have it, and put the smallest little glaze over the pizza….yum! Enjoy and do not be surprised if you eat half the pizza without even realizing it! It really is THAT good!
I was going to have the regular “America the Beautiful” song by Ray Charles as the video for today; however, to honor my ancestors as well as fallen soldiers…I bring you America the Beautiful in the cherokee language. So play this but close your eyes and just listen. It makes my heart smile. It truly does.